Featured Post

Caturday Morning Open Thread

  Hello and welcome to another weekendish whatsis.

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Please Do Not Bring Toasters and Other Appliances: Saturday Night Jam and OT

 


 

I know Kate Ivey is in charge down there but I am still absolutely goggling at the clinging to ideology of white supremacy that’s manifesting in the otherwise completely unexplainable idiocy of inviting a public figure (no matter how odious) and the attendant anticipated public attendance (read: superspreader event) to a locale that has *already been designated an official disaster area*.

 Really feeling the Beyond Jim Jones vibe right about now.

I am happy that the FDA appears to have reached the end of its collective rope with this special brand of stubborn idiocy at the same time I still find myself wondering how it took this long.   I’m breathless at the entitlement that allows people like Abbot and DeathSantis (it really is a Which Is Worst type Rumble of the type they broadcast on WWE, isn’t it?  Never mind that I sometimes look at that programming and wonder how much of that is part of the How We Got Here In The First Place thing the historians who come behind us are going to write about us) to demand federal support to deal with the fact that they themselves have filled their own hospitals past capacity as a result of their sustained refusal to issue mandates in accordance with CDC public health directives because they feel as if they & their cult followers should be the only determiners of who lives & who dies, & as such they don’t believe in protection of public health en masse.

 

Did they learn from the smallpox-blanket bringing Pilgrims or something?

Is Freedom White? – Boston Review 

The History of Freedom Is A History of Whiteness – Nation 

The Entwined History of Freedom and Racism – Nation 


Speaking of which – Olivia Troye spilled the beans last night on Rachel’s show about Stephen Miller DELIBERATELY BLOCKING the processing of exit applications for Americans & Afghans who would otherwise be trapped in Afghanistan in the event of a U.S. troop pullout like the one we’re experiencing right now.  That’s illegal, and as those who know me might guess, I’ve already started pestering at House & Senate Committees to fry his *ss, and that of all who enabled him, like he so richly deserves.   (I don’t imagine they’ll get on it immediately, but … no plans to get off that anytime soon, because the sooner they start – and take his passport before he tries to escape with his little Vampire Family – the better.)

 

To my fellow photogs who are also sportsball fans of a sort, I’m also wondering who else is flashing with me via that sign of the seemingly endless list of things you can’t bring in with you … at the same time I’m feeling strongly that the anti-vaxx superspreaders shouldn’t be allowed to bring ANYTHING with them, since they always leave the place looking like the proverbial pigsty (have y’all seen the way they leave these places?  It’s almost like they fully expect there’ll be a caste of people around to clean up the mess they leave – oh, wait, it’s exactly like that).

 

This’ll be the first time I’ve ever anticipated the U.S. Open without either Roger or Rafa (*quiet lil’ sob) so there’s part of me who feels like I’m staying home in solidarity (feels better than being trapped) – even though I don’t know if Taylor Townsend, Coco Gauff, Naomi Osaka and other great athletes I support are going to be there and so I feel in advance like it’s awful that (between the pandemic and the knees) that I won’t be there to support (even though there’s still some time to make a different decision).

 

East Coast!   Make sure you buckle down – get your drinking water (they don’t have any in Orlando FL so don’t think about going there for it), make sure phones are charged & flashlights are nearby).  As still Gov Cuomo reminded us in his briefing today, Hurricane Sandy was also a Category 1.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular