Featured Post

Sunday evening OT

Good evening/ night/ morning!  There may be more northern lights on the way 🤞   Meanwhile in Saskatchewan, it came from above.  Wishing a h...

Saturday, October 23, 2021

Dune (2021) - dir. Denis Villeneuve

 


It's real easy for me to be cynical and shit on most everything. But this movie has a magic to it. It captures the essence of what it was like to be in the theater when I was 9 or 10 years old, not in a nostalgic sense, but when the lights came down and my dopey little face was fed big ideas through the medium of sci-fi fantasy writ large on the silver screen. Rewiring my neurons. Fucking around with my brain chemistry. Haven't felt that way in a long time. Now that I do, I am positively ecstatic. I don't want to suggest this heralds some sort of cinematic renaissance. I don't want to make it out be something more than it is. But what it is, is confirmation that films like these can still have big things to say. They can be possessed by complex ideas and strangeness while still fitting comfortably in a megaplex. 


https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/sep/03/dune-review-denis-villenueve-venice-film-festival

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular