Featured Post

Another Night of the Light Show Tonight - Saturday Night OT

 

Monday, June 20, 2022

Monday Evening Open Thread and Slammed Doors

I do enjoy a dramatic exit. In fiction anyway. Do you have any favorites from entertainment or history? How about ones you've personally witnessed or maybe even participated in?

We've all seen this one right? Here's a hint: 
rhymes with 'Ralph read Which Flocks Birdy Go?'. Godard said all you need to make a movie is a girl and a gun. It's true. Dead women and violent men since day 1.

One of the better exits I've seen in real life happened in college. I was eating in the food court with a friend, Rob, when his girlfriend, Cara, a tall blonde harpist with This Mortal Coil vibes, powered into the room astride storm clouds. I didn't know Cara very well, but she was striking - black lacy dresses, angular bones, eternally Norma Desmonding for the cameras. The Cara Show is always on, and The Cara Show is a telenovela. Rob was dripping with dread. He knew what was coming. He managed to say, "Hey, C--" before she smacked him across the face, pointed her finger an inch from his face and stage whispered, "Don't you EVER talk to me again." The bustling court paused for a moment. Then she slapped him again and strode out, as grand an exit as I've ever seen. If I weren't stunned I might have stood and given her a slow clap.

Rob said, "I deserved that," and maybe he meant it. He told me he'd cheated on her several times with several different women, the cad.

Occurs to me that these "friends" I write about are really just "People I used to know" and I don't miss them at all. That was just junior year so I saw them on campus for another full year, though nothing else of note happened as far as I remember. I did see Cara once on a swing all by herself and dressed like she'd just gotten back from a funeral for a crow. A crow she was secretly in love with. I just turned up my collar and pretended I didn't see her, and she probably did the same - if she even remembered me.

Anyway, how's Monday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular