Monday, July 4, 2022

Monday Bombs Bursting in Air OT

Good evening, BT. Suffering the effects of booster 2. I feel like hot garbage. Actually, even the hot garbage is like, "I feel like SQRL." Photo below is a wood thrush that crashed into older daughter's window and tumbled into the open screen door below it.

I picked it up with a broom and dustpan and set it gently in the corner where it sat blinking, crumpled with a nimbus of ruined feathers swirling about it. It looked like it was trying to remember How To Bird, like it was downloading and installing the latest Windows update on How to Bird. I placed it outside beneath some bushes; that way it could either recover or expire by itself. Fifteen minutes later, Polly found it and brought it back in. I took the thrush away from her and tried to scoop it back up and out the door. Download complete, I guess, because it flew up to the rafters, and there it remained for an hour. I propped the door further open and brought Polly inside, and then found a video of wood thrush calls, figuring most bird calls are territorial in nature, and turned the volume up to 10. It worked. The thrush flew out the open door. It took about a week to find all the feathers dislodged from it though.

I think the wood thrush, stunned and shedding feathers, heaped with it legs in the air while its brain slowly comes to should be the official US bird. The eagle on the US seal is a little too close to fascist imagery, I think.

How's your 4th going?

update - feeling better today from when I typed this yesterday afternoon, but the computer glare is hurting my head.

update 2 - maybe forgo the fireworks since they're just another substitute for weapons of war. 6 dead in Highland Park during the 4th of July parade, another 24 injured. Suspect is a white male, 18-20 something, the usual age when a young man's fancy turns to mass shooting. This line from the Sun-Times gave me pause: 

Even as people ran, a klezmer band, seemingly unaware of the gunfire, continued to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular