Featured Post

Friday Morning Open Thread

It's National Shrimp Day.

Monday, January 23, 2023

Monday Just Past the New Moon 🌑 OT (A Sliver of a Waxing Crescent Tonight)

Happy Monday PM, all. Are you alone? Wouldn't you like to be?



I would like to see Kyle Edward Ball's Skinamarink (alone) in a movie theater since I haven't been to one since I saw Parasite (alone). Seems like the perfect thing to view by oneself. 

Filmed on a minuscule budget in the filmmaker's childhood home, the movie starts with two kids discovering they're alone and the windows and doors are disappearing. That's about it. Tapping into childhood fears. It's all about mood. Indistinct whispering, no faces shown fully, looming furniture and hallways, unending gloom. The familiar becoming alien. Unnerving, disorienting, eerie. No jump scares or monsters (I'm not a five year old). The photography is intentionally grainy, and the sound design is vital. Sounds like a description of my favorite moments in David Lynch's work. I don't think my home sound system would help the experience.





A limited run is ending this weekend* (typing this 01/19/2023, so it will have ended by the time this posts), and the timing is bad for me, but I would really like to see it in a nearly empty theater. I even wrote a note for my wife in case it works out:

Dear wife, I am leaving you and the kids

 

(over)

 

to go see a movie. do not wait up for me

 

(over)

 

love, the spouse in the house

 

(over)

 

 p.s. - what's up with this four-sided paper? so weird right. anyway.

 

 

The title is from a ditty from 1910, the chorus of which goes like this: 
Skiddy-mer-rink-a-dink-a-boomp,
skiddy-mer-rink-a-doo, 
Means I love you.

Skiddy-mer-rink-a-dink-a-boomp,
skiddy-mer-rink-a-doo,
Means I'll be true.  

According to Wikipedia, the song was popularized in Canada with updated lyrics by a kids' program called Sharon, Lois and Bram in 1978. An eponymous playground in Toronto even has a skating rink named Skinnama-rink. (I only mention this because Ball is Canadian. I don't think either the song or show is well known in the US, Europe, or Australia) Images from the show might be scarier than anything in the film. 


Or maybe not.


Leave a message after the tone. I'll ask you again

Art by Chancellor!

* Seems to have been extended but at even less convenient showtimes, I'll have you know ~ sqrl, always with the useless updates, 1/23/23


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular