Featured Post

Thursday evening open thread

  Pretty quiet here; what about where you are? It looks like we might get more rain tonight, after a nice sunny day, which is the way to do ...

Monday, February 27, 2023

Monday 🌓 27, February - Jai Guru Deva O(m)pen Thread

I recently subjected the family to three straight days of The Beatles' studio albums (Feb. 19 -21). That's 200+ songs over the span of more than ten hours. I heard but didn't really listen, you know? Dinner prep and cleanup is easier with predictable sounds. 

Laurie Lipton, On, 2013 (tho she was born a long long time ago)

Even made it through Revolution 9 and Octopus's Garden.
I still don't have a whole lot of love for their early music - most of it sounds like Little Richard and Chuck Berry with a bad haircut. Neuter Elvis. I only started paying attention around 1965. Almost everything from Rubber Soul to Let It Be ranges from pretty good to brilliant. Just my opinion of course.

Lipton, Monday Morning (With Doors Open), 2006 (you only give me your funny paper)

Most of their tunes are familiar enough that I only noticed the ones I dislike - Girl, Yer Blues, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, Piggies, Yellow Submarine, etc. After a few hours I got really tired of the nasally, reedy head voice, primarily John and George's, and sick of Paul's nonsense. Overall I don't recommend binge-listening to their entire body of work. Any band's entire body, really.

Lipton, Reality TV, 2009 (the rice in the church where a wedding has been)

I did start trying to subtract songs from the "White Album" to get it down to one LP again. Not sure why I do it, but I do. I managed to get it to around 53 minutes so I still need to get rid of a song or two. It was originally released on vinyl so it has to be around 46 minutes max. I also do this with 69 Love Songs by The Magnetic Fields (CD release so just under 80 min.), Sandinista by The Clash, Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me by The Cure, Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder, and other double or triple albums. 

Lipton, Shop, 2009 (tuned to a natural e happy to be that way)

"Ever notice how they do this 
in the middle of a magazine article? 
So annoying. 
Especially since the pull quote 
is something you just read or are about to read."

Sure. I know it's a waste of time and effort, but I'm pulled by twenty distractions every minute of the day. The activity keeps my brain focused. 

Lipton, Garden of Earthly Delights, 2009 (for peanuts is all)

I should probably take up gardening or carpentry instead. Something useful. But I'll probably just sit here and quietly rot from within.

Lipton, Off, 2013 (these memories lose their meaning when I think)

Just so you know, I still like the Fab 4, just not enough to listen to for 10.5 hours. Abbey Road is the only one that potentially ends up on a desert island with me, but I'd still skip Octopus's Garden. Bleh. 

How about you? Up to anything interesting? Grindingly boring? Hobbies? 

*****

all images are from the Weapons of Mass Delusions series by Laurie Lipton and her magic pencils and charcoal on her website: https://www.laurielipton.com/series/ 

 
Laurie Lipton in her studio





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular