Featured Post

Blaurgh!Talk

  Y'all, this world is a crying shame in a lot of ways. So come on. I know you got 'em. Let 'em out already.

Monday, January 29, 2024

Monday Nightswimming, a River, a Moon (and ROM: Spaceknight)

Apropos of nothing at all, I was singing "Moon River" and it morphed into "Goldfinger". Happens every time, my huckleberry friends.

#Shantyboat on Instagram, August 29, 2015
Similarly, Handel's Judas Maccabeus becomes "Frosty the Snowman" which in turn always transforms into "Rudolph". Means nothing but aural confusion in an addled brain which is prone to tangents anyway.
Does this ever happen to you?


–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

UPDATE 29 January – the post above was scribbled a week or two ago. I received a wellness checkin email from the local comic shoppe last fall asking if I was okay? Fine, I said, just down after a few months of sickness. NP, said the owner, just checking to see if everyone in the family was doing well. I'll be by soon, I lied. Well, I went to the shop on Friday (the first visit since last March, I think), chatted with the owner for an hour, and purchased a Marvel Omnibus:

The edition with the Frank Miller cover from Rom #1, natch, way back in 1979. The omnibus price was a reasonable $STFU and 99 cents.

I probably don't need to say it, but I'll say it anyway: The buyer's remorse was immediate. I loved the comic when I was around ten, but the charms of scribe Bill Mantlo and illustrator Sal Buscema are... let's say... "questionable." At least if I buy Vol 2, there will be Bill Sienkiewicz covers. I guess. I've been followed by a spectral trombonist ever since. *Waaah waaah* COMING SOON: Micronauts Omnibus V.1 in April – repeat of this paragraph, more or less, Mantlo again but with Michael Golden and Jackson "Butch" Guice illustrating. Dave Cockrum illustrated the cover of #1, but I want the Golden cover. If you've got a minute I can tell you about the inkers I liked best (Armando Gil) and least (Danny Bulandi) and the long strange –some might say "Dull"– history of Marvel Comics based on toys. SAD. Will no one rid me of these turbulent horns?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular