Featured Post

Blaurgh!Talk

  Y'all, this world is a crying shame in a lot of ways. So come on. I know you got 'em. Let 'em out already.

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

The Wednesday Morning Experience – Valendtimes Day – Sure, Why Not

Perhaps images of WWI misery say it best. Okay, not really. But I do honestly hate Wednesdays. And VD too.
Jacques Tardi, It Was the War of the Trenches, 1993. He's also written or adapted noir comics that I really enjoyed. West Coast Blues was excellent.

A funny bit of synchronicity. Funny to me anyway: A book of essays I read recently used the word "congeries" once and "aperçu(s)" twice. The nonfic book I read right after had this sentence on page 4 – "More a congeries of aperćus than a sustained critique, The Holocaust in American Life belongs to the venerable tradition of muckraking." Hohoho, "a congeries of aperçus"! How rich!

So tell me what's up. I'm listening.

*****

And RIP, Damo Suzuki (16 January 1950 – 9 February 2024) , musical oddball and artist. Influential lead singer/polyglottal babbler of Can in the early 70s. How a misfit Japanese kid ended up in a German prog rock group is a funny story. Their most conventional song, "Vitamin C", was used in Inherent Vice, I think right after we first meet Shasta Fay (Katherine Waterston, yep, D.A. Jack McCoy's kid) a few seconds after she says, "Watch your toes." Here:

Which is interesting insofar as Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead scored and soundtracked the film, and the song sounds a lot like a glitchy Radiohead demo circa 2007.



Apparently he spent some time after Can as a hotel receptionist and exporter of vintage cars before he went back to making the world of music a bit weirder.

Ok, that's it. Bye.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular