Featured Post

Thursday evening open thread

  Tonight is the hearing about our zoning issue on our street. We seem to have stirred up a hornets' nest, but most of the arguments I&#...

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Wednesday Nite Babble Time

Building or destroying? What are you up to tonight? I noticed this place just popped up on Zillow. It's really distant, but as far as I can tell, that's the only downside.

Still from Metropolis, Lang, 1927. 1000+ four room suites, central air. Otis elevator. 4 1/2 bath.

There is ample room for all your pets (I can't say how much exactly because it's in cubits or some archaic shit, but it's HUGE. I think), and we can avoid each other for the rest of our natural lives if that's what you wish. The listing is a bit unclear about modern plumbing and electricity. Details! We should hop on it while it's available. We'll handle the problems as they arise. 7M shekels, which I think, like the peso or yen, is like $5K. Laundry in the basement. 4 car garage. Carport. 

Tower of Babel, Pieter Breugel the Elder, Oil on wood panel, 1563. 15th floor has a rock climbing facility, vertical organic gardens, 3 tennis pickleball courts. Good luck prying a court from Owl, Snacks, and the gardener's son, Eric the handsome halfwit.

The Confusion of Tongues, Gustave Doré, engraving, c. 1865 –1868. "Lord! What has
become of The Tony Rule!"


From Mad God, Tippet, 2021. Full gym on the top floor. "TONY!!!!"


The Tower of Babel, Cornelis Anthionisz, Etching, 1547. "I scream, you scream, we all scream
for THE TONY RULE!" Seriously, does no one remember the Tony Rule? Some of you are
all WTF are you talking about, Who the hell is Tony? Go ask Nimrod.


So what do you think? Me? I suddenly crave cake. I suppose I brought this on myself just like the people of Babylon, c. 2300 B.C.E. 

The Cake of Babel for Tony, RIP

Incidentally, writing this post brought to mind Billiards at Half-Past Nine by Heinrich Böll, wherein the son of an architect destroys the buildings his father built before WWII. It's a wonderful and complex book if you like wonderful and complex things. Tragic and humanist. It's always tragic to be humanist. Probably the cycle of building and destroying that made me think of it. The book ends with a birthday party and cake is consumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular