If you’re
a “New York sort” and they can see you coming, it might be your glasses or your glasses case that sets off the
security detectors, lolsigh
Worst part
is I have so many pairs now (had the contacts in, so emergency glasses (haven’t
forgotten coming down that mountain), anti-UVA-B sun, blueblocker readers –
that I don’t know what it was that set it off
If I take
them all out before I go through the detectors tomorrow & it still makes noise
I don’t know yet what I’m going to do then
I’m on quasi-vacay with the superachieving extended family – so I have the privilege of not only hearing the BSO but also watching Martha Graham Dance celebrate its centennial doing its debut at Tanglewood and Jacob’s Pillow
The current Artistic Director, Judith Eilber, seemed to really enjoy herself sharing with the audience that the work was commissioned by a notable foundation for the Library of Congress
She, like,
hung on the words as she enunciated them and it felt like the entire room (the “Shed”,
as it’s commonly known on campus) was picking up everything she was putting
down
Everybody
remember they were one of the first?
THE MARTHA
GRAHAM
Gained a
new appreciation for Copland’s “Appalachian Spring” not just because I’d never
seen the company perform the work, but also because the way the company director
told the story that Madame Graham was told by a mutual acquaintance from, I
think, Jacob’s Pillow that composer Copland could be contacted at “Box 102, Stockbridge”
It
originally was titled “For Martha” (which is, IINM, part of where the 2026 work
got its title For Martha from En Masse, commissioned to celebrate the company’s
100th year)
There are
eight dancers in the work, and three of the eight being selected being of
African descent during this timeline felt like a statement of force
All the
classic Graham shapes and time stops
Extraordinary
THE OTHER
MARTHA GRAHAM – For Martha from En Masse
Can’t say how
proud I was to find out that I’d taken class from this choreographer at the
Ailey Building (pre-COVID when I was in much better physical shape than
currently)
She taught
us parts of Revelations (ridiculously difficult, so much more than it looked)
and shared she wanted us to “get the history in our bones”
What we
were privileged to see was a single excerpt from the new work (again,
extraordinary – ensemble, canon, what felt like references from Ron Brown’s “Evidence”)
– so now I have to spend some time hunting down the rest
THE
BEETHOVEN – Symphony no 7 in A
Thought
the top of my head might fly off
The last
three movements of that symphony are allegretto, presto, & allegro con brio
This is a lil’ video portrait of the conductor returning to her alma mater so you can get a sense of what she gave the house
I heard
this both from and about Fosse a lot but I also saw it recently apparently
shared from a comedian – that what we can do is shaped by what we can’t
I’ve often
thought that (and thought it was profound & original) – but what I felt
sitting there as part of a community was
“Okay, I’m
never going to have those contractions or jumps or verticals, but given what
they’ve built by refusing the mess they didn’t want to be a part of – what else
can I do in the spirit of what they are doing?”
I forgot
to relay this to the case (this is the second “contacts” story I’ve had to
share with you all) – when I’m moving bags for both self & family there are
a lot of bags, which means there are a lot of opportunities to forget something
you need (especially if even if the packing lists started out meticulous they
sometimes end like run-ons)
I was
getting ready to take out the contacts & was starting to wonder if I put
them in the bottom of a cup w/saline if they’d be okay but then I remembered I’d
put one last glasses case in one of the other bags – which of course was where
I’d stashed those tiny-winy little cases (two of them)
When we
are looking for those resources to create the things to shore up ourselves &
our peeps against the current Onslaught of Ridiculous Menace – I hope we all do take a quick look in that last bag


No comments:
Post a Comment